Jan 22, 2010

A Box Stumbles...

(Originally published for The Box Move)

"Navigating through the world of science, the six of us, students at the LUMS School of Science and Engineering (SSE) decided to pen down what the study of Science represents to us in terms of Music, Art, Literature, Popular Culture, or just as a response to novelty. Watch this space as we put pieces together, make links, and break into the box move."

I am reading it again and again...making every neuron engage itself in a process called thought. my mind is terrified at the introduction I have been starring for so long...my soul sublimes to the state of meta-consciousness and seeks for a meaning in the introduction of this blog. I am betrayed by thoughts....thoughts which once resided the various chambers of my existence have abandoned this land...I am alone....alone to read the introduction and to seek a meaning in it. I am alone as Galileo was when he observed the heavenly part of our cosmos; I am alone as Johannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart was when he first played a piece on Clavier (though he was 4 times younger then than my age now); I am alone as every pioneer has been...but I have a tragedy to tell: I am NO pioneer. I am the dust of a caravan which has long long ago travelled this road; I am the last drop of dew, residing on the withering petal of a rose, ready to be boiled by the first glance of sun; I am just a storyteller. And my soul, just a story. Or may I'm a mathematical function , or a logical fallacy, or a quantum dot, or a saint????


I am a pagan, my Deity being Mathematics, and I dare not touch it. And my cult, the cult of Socrates. I read poetry to break away from the hums of neurons in my brain; I dance in the rain to abstain from solving Schrodinger's equation over and over again; I walk aimlessly to avoid reading random articles in Life Sciences... I can not lose my being to science, I can not let my identity fade and I can not leave my self unheard, all at the same time.
To quote Sir Edward Dyer, My mind to me a kingdom is....

And Science, my "rival" deity! I so much want to touch it, but I cannot. I so much want to want to violate its personal space, yet I cannot! But I can try doing that! And that's what I'm doing! And Science is taking its revenge. It charms, and lures, and whispers, and comes in dreams to haunt. But I'm on the move, a day will come, when I will mark my theories and formulas and in her high temple.


I wonder at the number six. Has this not been violated already? The moment I tapped a key at my key board, this very principle was shattered to pieces... Somehow, the autobiography of science is full of such accounts; breaking the barriers created by forefathers (Or fore-Sciences, for that matter) has been the favorite hobby of all natural sciences. And I also desire to do the same. I desire not to talk about art, music, literature, rain, sun, moon and every thing that has been talked about. So, it is out of this desire that I leave my post incomplete. Welcome to THE BOX MOVE, young being (I fancy aliens also read my blog posts)

--
Muhammad Affawn

No comments:

Post a Comment